Saturday post

It's one of those days when I start off having a nightmare and can't sleep. Fortunately, the alley is nearly clear of ice and the sun has warmed up most of the rode so I walked Mr. Nelson for about 3 blocks. Not too bad for winter walking. I really wish the mall allowed dogs to walk in there. I know it would get a bit messy but it would be so nice otherwise...or would it?

I did as many chores as I could in an hours worth of time and plan on doing some painting if I can get my hubby to do most of the kid chores. It's a good day and I want to go outside and enjoy it with the gang.

As for artwork, I've been busily working on a project. I'm trying to finish up a children's book that I want to submit to publishers. It's my 1st one, so I'm excited about this. Then I have several ideas for other books (I already have the stories down and just need to brush them up a bit). What I found with illustrating is it's not so hard to do the drawing or think up ideas. The most difficult part, for me anyway, is keeping the characters looking consistent. I think I did a fairly good job with the book, so I'm confident about this. But I remember when I was at taking art classes and I did this little worm character and it was really cute. However, it's shape looked totally different in several frames. Kind of funny because I remember before the critique that maybe they won't notice...but the teacher did and made a big point of it too. Much to my embarrassment. I learned my lesson from that day on and have become sensitive to details like that. I certainly cannot say I have mastered it (that would be the job a cartoonist) but I have a better understanding of detail.

We're supposed to go to the Unitarian Church tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous about it. Most people think of Unitarian as more of a group...and this is probably true but I'm glad that this group has a thoughtful approach to life. I hope I meet some nice people.

I'm excited. When I write why, most people will be like, you're weird. I'm excited because I got a dog magazine. Yes, I know it sounds odd but I plan on doing paintings from it so this is why. I've never really done dog portraits before. I've never had a dog and didn't really think of them, I hate to say. I've done paintings of wolves, foxes, kit foxes, bats, insects, cats, all sorts of guinea pigs and rabbits, etc. But never dogs. Just never really thought about it, I guess. There are some very nice works out there of dogs, and I thought there was enough in the market, I guess. But I'll try my hand at it and see what happens.

My cats are happy. Mr. Nelson is on the porch and they feel like they can come out and explore...a little. I have the type of dog that acts like he's on a caffeine high and is totally wound up. Crazy to say the least. My sis-in-law has a Whippet and this dog is just bones. He runs around in their back yard (but not as crazy as Mr. Nelson) and then is totally passive inside. Amazing. Not so with Mr.Nelson. He acts like he's on drugs or something. I guess it's the terrible twos for dogs...I hope he grows out of it. Otherwise, he's a good dog, really. I do feel safer with him around...if you can feel safer with a Bichon. :-) *apologies to Mr. Nelson* The nicest thing about him besides his handsome good looks is having to go outside. Being an artist, you have a tendency to stay indoors a little too much. So, he makes me go out and see the world. I don't always want to but when the dog calls someone has to go.

Well, I'll end now. I updated my webpage www.gottshall.com I'm happy with it for now. I'm going to put up more galleries since all it's a pinch to do.
Emily

Comments

Popular Posts