covid-19 and feeling down

Today has been ok but I feel depressed. I think everything caught up with me. Hello, I haven't written on this blog in ages and started up right now.

So, long story short: was subbing and got laid off
unemployment fell through because of the way they calculate it...you MUST work 18 weeks in a row with at least 115 a week. Being a POOR sub and jobs rarely coming up, guess what? That didn't happen. Our district pays 105 a day. That actually sounds, sadly, like a lot compared to 85 other districts pay. We can't form a union because of some outdated laws and get shafted. I actually have finished my schooling meaning I have certification to teach art. But the district I'm in makes 1 art teacher cover 4 schools. Insane. So, there are only 2 art teachers for 8 elementary schools. Very unfair to the teachers and students. For the last 3 months, I was subbing for an art teacher. My extra pay was 10 a day. When I taught long term at State College, I got 245 after a 4 weeks plus, back pay. I didn't get that with my home district. $10 a day. I found out that our district is the lowest paid one in the county. That's just so wrong. Why? Because there are people on the school board who don't want to raise taxes for schools and don't want to help the next generation of students. That's who is the saddest hit. How many times did I hear kids say, I wish we could have art every day...instead have to wait 2.5 weeks. Such a shame.

Additionally, I feel sad because my mom in law has stage 1 cancer and is feeling tired. It's stressful and we hope she'll get treatment that will make her feel better. We talked and they seemed upbeat and that was good. We went up to their house and stood outside with a banner that said, WE LOVE YOU! It made me sad to be so close and yet, have to stay away.

I've tried to make art but felt it was exhausting. So, put all my energy into making masks. I have made about 50 and have been making a bunch for a local hospital as well as family and friends. This helped me feel more in control of this maddness.

The biggest disappointment is the push to make Bernie Sanders fail. I know he didn't and in fact, the policies are coming true at a faster rate. I was spending a lot of time on facebook and started to get depressed from the sorrow that everyone is expressing and the confusion. I won't get into it because it feels like something we'll find out more about in the next 5 months.

The first days of not going to school, I spent cleaning and panicking and feeling overwhelmed and sleeping. We've been doing more house stuff, obviously. making things and doing stuff and spending a lot of family time together. The kids are all over the place, 1 sleeps in till 2 pm. The other one gets up at 9am. The 3rd, might get up by noon. It's annoying. We've had to close down internet access at 11pm because they will stay up all night and try to sneak video game time. Annoying. I understand the feeling of wanting to zone out. But why do they have to sleep into the afternoon? So annoying.


made a plea to heal the earth


Making masks


Made art to encourage mask wearing

Comments

Popular Posts