Blessing of the Animals

“Blessed are you, Lord God, maker of all living creatures. You called forth fish in the sea, birds in the air and animals on the land. You inspired St. Francis to call all of them his brothers and sisters. We ask you to bless this pet. By the power of your love, enable it to live according to your plan. May we always praise you for all your beauty in creation. Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your creatures! Amen.”

Sunday we're having a blessing of the animals after church. I love this so much. I think this is one of the many reasons I love being Episcopalian. It's just so gentle and kind to think of God's creations. Protestant groups just don't do this and I feel sorry for this loss. I, personally, love animals and tending for them. I feel they are examples of the love that God has given us and make life so much more loving. Sure, they make it a bit messier and keep us on our toes...but they teach us to remember life is short and precious. 

I remember when I saw the film, Brother Sun, Sister Moon I was so enthralled that someone would understand the beauty and delight in life. It's amazing and something to aspire to on different levels. 

Sometimes, I feel if we had more of this awareness, life would be easier for many animals and people. If we had this awareness, perhaps, we'd have less animals in need of adoption (having less gadgets and more money for caring for our critters) or only have arguments instead of physical violence and perhaps, we'd help each other regardless of where we came from, what we looked like, or thought. Just a thought.

Comments

Popular Posts