Yummy Turkey Soup

I had baked a turkey a few days ago...thawed out one of my freebies...and today, I softened it up in the pot to make some sort of soup. I was a little nervous but I thought I'd play it by ear. I've made many wonderful soups over the years from recipes and have tried some very yummy one from friends and family.

Well, I decided to take a bit of some of my favorites. I decided to do a Mexican style soup like I had at a friends party in HS with a touch of Romanian edge with the parsley.

After the turkey cooled in the pot, I pulled apart the meat and bones. I used the water from the turkey stock and added dried onions, 2-3 dashes of salt, about 1/2 cup of lemon juice, a few dashes of garlic powder, chili powder & cumin. I cut up parsley (about a handful), celery (3 stalks), carrots (3 carrots) and about 1 and half cups of white rice. I added 2 cans of hominy with some of the juice. This is a large pot, mind you.

I boiled the water up for about 5-8 minutes, lowered the heat and covered for 20 minutes. I'm glad I added the rice and hominy as an after thought. The soup came out really good. You could add your choice of meat or go entirely meatless as well. I was thinking of adding some falafi mix to make little meatless meatballs. That would be an interesting touch. However, I think the parsley was good as a fresh herb and I didn't want to overwhelm the seasonings. If I took out the cumin and chili powder it could be a Greek style soup. Maybe served with a side of plain yogurt? Sounds yummy for next soup experiment.

Turkey Soup Recipe Mexican and Romanian Style

Left over Turkey boiled in water (large pot)
2 cans hominy
1/2 cup lemon juice
Large dash of garlic powder
Large dash of dried onions
Large dash of cumin
3 small dashes of salt
1 1/2 cup of rice
chopped parsley
3 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced

Boil the turkey, cool and remove bones. Use the turkey stock for the soup base. Add all the ingredients and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes with lid on the pot. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts