The Cable Guy and the Cat that Screamed

All right, here's the story. A few weeks ago, my dear husband decided to splurge and get actual cable for us. We have been limping along with 12 stations. Not a biggie, but when you want to sit down for a show or have some kid stuff on, nothing. Plus, we got jealous of some of our friends that have the BBC network. :)

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, I have 3 cats. My two younger cats are about 11 and 9 yrs old. The oldest one is 21 yrs old and is the first cat I ever had. She was born under the dresser in my bedroom and has been a great cat. Well, in the recent years she has gotten a little strange. She's doing the older cat thing of missing the litter box (or deciding to go where no cat should be going (under the bed, much to our, and our kids, annoyance)). We have put up with her because I love that cat and she is doing well, health-wise.

About a year ago, she started to mew really loud...it sounded like something dying/mewing/screaming, all in one. At first, we didn't know what the heck that was. She'd mew and we'd run upstairs thinking something was trapped or hurt. By the time we got upstairs, the cat would disappear and we'd be left wondering. Finally, I caught her in the act and was like, Simone! Stop that. I petted her and played with her, thinking she needed some attention, which was probably true. She calmed down. Well, it continued this horrible mewing sound and I realized a few weeks ago, she is probably hard of hearing and this is why she mews this way. Well, once I realized this, I looked for signs and sure enough, she wouldn't hear when I was walking by or if the kids talked loudly.

Last week or so, the cable guy comes over and starts to put in the cable stuff. Of course, Simone decides to mew as loud as she can. I start to laugh because, it sounds horrible. HORRIBLE. I'm totally embarrassed and think, I've got to let the cable guy know I don't have some old person stuck up there being tortured. So, I bring her down and talk to her calmly...making sure the cable guy sees/hears the cat. He's trying to be professional but blurts out, "Why that cat sounds like it was near dead with the hollering'!" I'm turning beet red and try telling him, we'll she's hard of hearing and that why she sounds like that. He's like, oh and goes back to work. It was just very annoying and I probably should record her mews for Halloween or something.

The last time this happened, my in-laws were over to watch the baby while he napped. Simone starts her mew cry and both my in-laws are like, my God what is that? They think it's the baby, and run upstairs. Sure enough, he's sound asleep. And of course, the cat, is nowhere to be seen.

Comments

Popular Posts