Rainy Monday

I really don't care for that Carpenter song, the one about rainy days and Mondays being sad. Monday's are not that bad...certainly, the weekend is over and it's time to get into the typical work week, if you're typical that is. And rainy days are not bad when it's spring or summer. In fact, they are rather pleasant after a few days of sun. I started to think of this quote:

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. ~John Ruskin

Maybe I'm being a bit Pollyanna, again, but I do think there is something unique about each kind of weather. A poem came to mind:

Swift Things are Beautiful


Swift things are beautiful:
Swallows and deer,
And lightening that falls
Bright-veined and clear,
Rivers and meteors,
Wind in the wheat,
The strong-withered horse,
The runner's sure feet.

And slow things are beautiful:
The closing of day,
The pause of the wave
That curves downward to spray,
The ember that crumbles,
The opening flower,
And the ox that moves on
In the quiet of power.

Elizabeth Coatsworth

We had to learn that poem in 7th grade...and I'm very glad we did. When I read the words, I not only think of the poem but the class and my teacher, Mrs. McCain, I believe. I will have to look her up, just to see if I'm right.

I sometimes feel like there is something magical about words...just really catches my heart, at least. My mom claims I've always been sensitive...hopefully, that's a good thing! lol

I was a bit disheartened to learn two baby bunnies didn't make a cold snap we had a few days ago. I thought they were fine but there was a bit of smell and we had to lay them to rest. Poor dears. We're going to put flowers on their grave.

We want to get a dwarf rabbit (or two) to live with our guinea pigs. They would have to be dwarf (not to grow much bigger and squash or piggies) and I think I may need to make a bigger run for them all. I have a ping pong table down there and Maybe I'll sacrifice it for their cage...we shall see. We have a very large hutch in the garage but it's in the garage and we'd have to pull it out for Spring-late Summer usage. I wouldn't want my critters out in the winter, let alone overnight (raccoons, cats, possums, etc). My dad used to have an outdoor pigeon coop and they were constantly harassed/killed by possums and cats. He finally put in a cement floor and that solved 99% of the problem. Over here, that would be too costly and too cold. So, I'd rather we convert the other half of the basement into a pleasant area for my critters.

I have two more weeks till my surgery and then, I hope to recover and move on. I wish I had planned it sooner, but it is what it is.

I feel like things are really very good this year...surely, it's not perfect and I don't think I'd want perfection. Just doing something useful and active. I'm thinking of church, family, feeling blessed with so much love and friendship and best of all having my mom here to visit. Now, if she can only talk my dad into visiting and perhaps moving over here. It would be really crazy, fun and amazing.

On another note, Jon wants to go fishing...and suggested I try it out, again. I'm not keen on this, in the least. I feel immensely sorry for the worms and I don't know about catching/perhaps eating the fish we'd catch. It's one thing to buy it from the market and another to do the thing your self. Jon said he'd do it...but why do I doubt this? I wish I was more like Julia Child...did she do stuff like that? I remember something about lobsters (from the movie, Julie and Julia). I don't think I'd want to do that. Anyway, we shall see. I'd rather set up an easel and paint people fishing! :)

We had a celebration for my niece and sister-in-law...their birthdays. My brother-in-law made the best pizza from scratch! I have to get his recipe. I've been using a 1970's version of pizza crust from my Betty Crocker cookbook. I will have to try his, now.

Oh, and I've been baking like crazy! Oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip, quiche, casseroles with ham/veggies and so much more. I've made several pasta salads that were, if I do say so myself, quite good. :) The magic touch is olive oil and a balance of vinegar and some Italian seasoning. The kids are ambivalent about my attempts but all the adults go crazy for what I make. Success! Of course, my littlest guy will eat all I give him, usually.

Writing about all of this has reminded me, I need to start another casserole. This is the basic recipe I do: Powdered milk mixed with water, 3 eggs...mix together w/salt,pepper and Parmesan cheese...this makes a custard. Shredded bread in the greased (spray)casserole dish, pour on 1 can of creamed corn, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of ham, 1 can of mixed veggies or 2 cups of frozen veggies. Shredded cheese (cheddar) sprinkled on top. Pour custard over top and add more cheese. Bake at about 375 for 30-40 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! :)

Comments

Popular Posts