Saddness

I debated over the title for this blog entry...I wanted to write, "Why I am opposed to the Iraq war" or some other title that was a little less polite. I'm even more upset now as they found out the man who went crazy shooting of innocent people was a solider from Iraq, sent 3 times out, and lost his mind. This is so sad for many reasons...it shows how being forced to go to war will damage a person. I think we all know this now. I'm angry that Bush and Cheney, who started this madness, are picking out retirement ranches and planning to write their books; cashing in on all of this. I don't think it would resolve everything, but if they were charged with crimes of war, I think it would help (help a lot of people see some justice come from all this suffering).

It makes me upset there is still a war going on, though, I hope it's starting to calm down (which I doubt. Too many people are still dying/getting hurt from the news reports). And it makes me sad, as I have cousins who are out there in the military and I don't want them to get hurt physically/mentally but how can anybody not be hurt by this?

After Monday's tragedy, I don't think anyone is immune from the demons of war. One of my favorite writers/artists, Lynda Barry, once said that war follows you for several generations. In other words, what the previous generation went through, keeps effecting the next generation. Or in this case, the immediate generation/neighborhood.

I feel like we don't protect each other enough. I feel like these men and women who are sent off to fight, weren't protected, cared for and were abused. I don't think it's just prisoners who were tormented...I've felt this for a long time. Tolstoy wrote that most war uses soldiers as "Cannon fodder". I hate this description because it's true.

I think it's healthy to say no, I don't agree with this war. I think it's healthy to protest and stand up for those with little voice and have to march. I have a friend who came back from the war about 4 years ago...he saw friends die in front of him. He saw horrible things. The only reason he survived was his ability to work on mechanics or they would have thrown him in the front. He's still in shock about a lot of this and I hope he does write his book...this I would buy.

Prayer for Healing

Precious Lord, take my hand.
Lead me on. Let me stand.
I am tired. I am weak. I am worn.
Through the storm,
Through the night,
Lead me on to the light.
Take my hand, precious Lord,
and lead me home.

(African-American spiritual)

Comments

Popular Posts