Peer pressure...

I just started to think about how there are so many rules and so many things to "be aware of" or else one is impolite or breaking rules. This is what I call peer pressure as a grown-up. I think it's good to be polite and aware and I think it's good to create relationships that have a sense of kindess as well. Sometimes, however, some people can become so focused on rules they forget the human element.

Recently, I read a story about a man in my community that lost his home to the development of a bigger road. I was saddened to hear how officials handled it...a judge even said something like "light a fire under him and get him out of there (his home)." I just don't get that. I think it's disgusting, hurtful and most importantly it's forgetting that this is person where talking about not a moose in the road (though, I think some might handle a moose in a more gentle manner than most humans).

I guess I felt sorry for this guy because A. When I was a kid, my family lost their home B. My parents recently lost their home a few years ago, again and C. It seems people don't think "this could happen to them". It can and it does all the time. Either man comes along and takes property for whatever reason or else it's lost to nature or some accident. In all these situations, there should be that bit of insight that does make us human...compassion. It seems to me, quite a few people do forget this in their rules and figures and this is what leads to so much strife in the world.
The situation with the man who had to leave his home ended peacefully with a SWAT team's assistance. It just seems to me if the company's involved had thought about that old mentality "you can get more flies with honey..." there would have been a lot less heart ache and a fellow human wouldn't have had to be treated like this. I'm glad it ended peacefully...It's when it doesn't end in a peaceful way, that concerns me. I guess with all that has been going on in the news, I've felt a bit overwhelmed emotionally. I think I need to step back from the news stories, say a few prayers and do my own thing.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” - Dalai Lama

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." --Colossians 3:12-13

Comments

Popular Posts