Mock Orange

Mock Orange

Lovely flower and fragrance. I'm still waiting for the peonies...All of our flowers are original to the house. I love that I can discover them each season. Mountain Laurel is soon to follow. Wish I had gotten a better pic of the lilies of the valley. Ah, well...

Yesterday, we went for a little drive to an Amish farm. It started off rough as the weather was so hot and muggy. But we cooled down with small ice creams (even Mr. Nelson got one). Then, off we went to the Amish Variety Store and got a shoofly pie and two tomatoes. We stopped at Fort Roberdeau and I was able to go down a path to see the sink hole. Last year or so, I was too afraid to do this but I think having the right glasses, helps immensely. So, I was proud of myself. We walked around admiring the plants, quiet and the birds. We heard woodpeckers and saw swallows. A mysterious song came out of the trees once or twice and we couldn't identify the bird. Very exciting and enchanting. We started to get a little afraid of ticks and decided to retreat across a handy bridge to the car. The smell of an intoxicating perfume from some plant above us, looks like a wisteria flower but white and is a tree, floated down. We looked into the water and watched. Next time we'll bring bug spray and better walking shoes.

It was a great day. I love quiet trips like this and I hope everyone has a few of these to escape to now and then. I feel, at times, that I've walked into my church when passing through these trees and plants. I'm listening to my choir, the wind and birds singing high above, around and near me. And the world is filled with love, gentleness and the present. I love these moments.

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each."
Henry David Thoreau

Comments

Popular Posts