Intelligence not linked to wealth

Interesting article that makes me feel a bit better...and I always knew wealth had nothing to do with "smarts". One example is inherited wealth and another winning a lottery.
I guess I feel a bit sore about economics as I'm on the poor end and there are a lot of people who are struggling. But if you talk to someone who is well-to-do or secure (and just doesn't get it) they'll make it as though God is punishing us for being bad or that being poor equals stupidity. It's really insulting and reflects the prejudices of that person, really.

When I first met my husband, Jon, he played a CD for me by Phil Ochs. One of the songs is exactly how I feel and think about a lot of people. It's called There but for...

Show me a prison, show me a jail
Show me a prisoner whose face is growing pale
And I'll show you a young man with many reasons why
And there but for fortune
May go you or I
Show me an alley, show me a train
Show me a hobo who sleeps out in the rain
And I'll show you a young man with many reasons why
And there but for fortune
May go you or I
Show me the whiskey stains on the floor
Show me a drunken man as he stumbles out the door
And I'll show you a young man with many reasons why
And there but for fortune
May go you or I
Show me the country where the bombs had to fall
Show me the ruins of the buildings once so tall
And I'll show you a young land with so many reasons why
And there but for fortune
May go you or I -- or I

I feel like this gives answers to so many people, really. The lines "There but for fortune May go you and I"...in other words, it could be us in those prisons, in that alley...but we've been lucky somehow in life, either through kindness of people, self preservation or good mental health to avoid those things.

Moral prejudice.
We all have this. Is it possible to remove it and be honest with ourselves. To see our selves as we are. Is it possible to understand why we feel something, instead of just feeling something and acting out of that feeling? I'm thinking about people who oppose war (like myself) to those who splashed water on a theater art performance by Mike Daisey recently.
What is valid moral indignation? For my self, this would be a non-violent peace march but not pouring water all over someone's script notes. I, also, wouldn't protest a one man monologue just because expletives were used. Now, if there was a lot of violence or garbage spoken in favor of war, I'd probably have protested that.

Comments

Popular Posts