cold...

I made the mistake of reading the news headlines today...and worse, reading about several families that were destroyed by a fire. I could barely read the first few lines but all in all, nine died. Eight were children. A terrible feeling of sickness and sorrow consumed me and I had to write about this. I did not know how I felt about sharing a poem I've written. I have a few spread out on the net but for some reason it seems/feels/is so personal to me.

I debated whether or not to share it. And finally, I felt I had to. It's one of creative outlets...I hope you don't mind.

Mother’s sorrow, a World’s loss

I heard of eight children perishing in a fire and one adult.
Nine lives disappeared.
Why?
A fire, neglect, poverty, ignorance, fate? I cried and raged.

Where are the safety for our poor and needy?
Why are we so quick to judge those born in poverty?

How do we end it? How do we make it equal and fair and have some justice?

How do we reduce the screams of mothers on a bitterly cold night…

“My children are in there! My children are in there! Help me!”

Why don’t we listen? Why don’t we?

Have we lost our sights and become hardened souls that only can mutter,
"It's not my business,"… "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!” *
I have not forgotten or ignored them. I am one of them, least I forget.
No matter the faces, the skin color, the stance in life...
I am a mother.
I am a mother.
*(Scrooge’s answer on the state of the poor, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens)
~~~~
I know that money does not solve problems but to those in real need, it does help a tiny bit. I'm not a religious person and often I feel like these things are so unjust and so unfair to happen to those who struggle the most and I hate using petty words of consolation. But there is the story of Job and all he lost. And how, one day after all his hardship he got back most of what was lost. Still, I think Job cried so much even with a new family...

Comments

Popular Posts