Two feet of snow, sick and Ya-Ya's

Talk about feeling trapped. Here we are, Jon and I come down with the worst flu in five years, with our two kids and a blizzard raging outside. The girls had their flu shots and I think a VERY mild case of the flu. If they had gotten what we had, it would have been horrible. I felt like I could very easily go to the hospital and get an IV and not blink twice. This from someone who is very afraid of needles/blood.

Anyway, I'm rebounding. I've slept like I've never slept before and every time I laugh a little my back and sides hurt from flu excursions (to say the least). I still feel queasy when thinking about various foods...esp. those that I ate previously to the other night.

It's funny. I didn't feel very sick before all this happened. I just felt a little tired and I thought I had forgotten to take my allergy medicine but I hadn't. One of the mom's from my art class did ask if I was feeling all right. And I thought I was just tired and needed lunch. But as it turns out this might have been the beginning.

Jon came down with the effects first and this started me on it within ten minutes. I sometimes think we are very linked mentally/physically. Very odd at times. We're the type of couple that if someone is thinking something about Star Trek, for example, the other one will say do you remember that scene? And the other person will be like yeah...without having to explain all the in-between, how'd you get to think about that stuff.

I think people are like this more than we realize. People we live with/interact with we start creating these bonds/brain waves (connections) . It's the way people are, thankfully.

I think this is why people become so attached to pets, as well. They are there all the time and they need you as much as you need them. For example, I knew I was starting to feel better when I started to pet my cat, Simone (who wouldn't leave my side...sometimes to my annoyance). I started petting her and noticing how soft her fur is and just admiring her face. It's like they take away your self pity and help you get out of that mild sick induced depression.

On another note, it's also nice to have friends and realize they do care about you. Having someone say they'll come out in the snow and bring you to the doctors (in a blizzard no less!) really makes you feel cared for. : ) Which brings me to my next thought. I'm reading (actually, almost finished) "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells. It has some luke warm moments of writing but in all, it interested and engaged me. One line I found compelling was " How tender can we bear to be? What good manner can we show as we welcome ourselves and others into our hearts?" I thought that was especially meaningful. I liked this book as it is about a daughter who is making peace with her concept of self and her concept of her mother.

So, how tender can we bear to be? That is a hard one...but I'm trying to learn to do this, not just with words but by actions. And you do have to be a little brave, too. You have to sweep your shyness or hang-ups to the side and notice the details of a persons face and that they are there.

Comments

Popular Posts