When the crazies start dancing at funerals...

you have to know it's time to tell them to stop, make them protest a few miles away from a funeral or just go up to them, hit them in the head a few times and try to knock some sense in there. Just kidding about the last one. Though, my goodness the urge is there.

Lately, I've been reading about these funeral_protests . Some people who are anti-gay(read prejudice) go to funerals of soldiers who have died and do a protest...right there. On so many levels this is wrong. It's not just about dishonoring the dead...all who have died for this war...but it hurting the families involved.

I'm not a patriotic type person and I'm anything but religious. But I wouldn't do this at a funeral. I wouldn't do this at any funeral! And I'm amazed that people can do this under some crazy idea that they are speaking for God. Well, we all know that people who claim to speak to God are really about. Yes, something's not right there. Most of the time, these people are harmless but if you get people to follow them in ernest, we could have insanity marching it's way across America much like Germany a few years ago. Very scary.

I think a good response/action is that of Connie Ditmore. Quoted from the AP "My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

On another topic, I've heard of some groups are now protesting Starbucks. And it's not because of the quality of their coffee. http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?Id=21387 Apparently, this group is miffed that Starbucks has come out with slogans that are inclusive of various life styles. For some reason, this rubs this group the wrong way. I don't know why but it does...and they are claiming to be a "Christian" group too. The irony is I was always taught God loves everyone. I believe that God is beyond color, sex and any policitcal systems of belief.

I think it's sad when certain Christian groups get mixed up about life. The basic principal of the bible is to love your nieghbor, not to judge and basically, help those in need. It doesn't say go around and protest at funerals and coffe shops. What a strange world of their own making.

And as for me, I don't believe in a God on the mountain and as the Peter, Paul and Mary lyrics from And when I die go "I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell...But I'll never know by livin', only my dyin' will tell".

I think that sums it all for my personal beliefs...And as for "the God of all", I like to slip in an extra "o" in there and say the Good of all. But that would be just plain crazy now, wouldn't it? Just as crazy as protesting coffee establishments and funerals...

Comments

kath red said…
yes yes yes. say no to prejudice, say no to ugliness like this.
Emily said…
Absolutely! There is a wonderfully poignant song by Peter Paul and Mary called, "Jesus on the wire" about Matthew Shepard...the young man brutally beaten to death because he was gay.

We need to remember this and not let it happen again.

Popular Posts