I feel feelings...and the Ugly Cake.

Been a bit down. Got rejected for yet another couple of jobs...AH!!! One was for a library assistant for weekends. You had to have an MLS, so I was like well, that's a long shot but if they call I'll interview. It's good practice anyway. Well, I interviewed, know I did well and when I got the rejection the very next day, I was still sad. 15 people interviewed for a 7 hour position. The good thing about not getting this job was the 7 hours were broken into two days (Saturday and Sunday, how icky). So, I guess I lucked out not getting that one. The other one was in a different city for a teachers aide like position. It was only 7 an hour (which, unfortunately is good for around here). It was full time with no benefits. But you got holidays and sick days! Hahaha What a bunch of crap!

Anyway, I missed that one too...grrr sour grapes. Then the latest position I tried out for was a poetry editor for a web site. It was a non-paying gig with supposed potential of pay in the future. Didn't get that one either. Just as well, they wanted you to go to various poetry readings and "do reports", edit a certain volume of poems, etc...all this for free. The funny thing is I am a published poet (in literary journals from my university days) and more recently on poets against the war. Yes, I haven't published Children's poems...actually, I've never tried. Maybe I should...I do have several that are public worthy.

So, that is my depressing day. I did mop the floor in the dining room. Oh, and I did do a lot yesterday. I'm giving art lessons at home and have three pupils. I'm happy and very excited about that. I think it will go well.

I told my sister about the Sunday school preschool class and she gave me some pointers (she teaches Sunday school too but older kids, elementary age). So, I have a plan: 1. tell the kids what you expect from them (no yelling, shouting, or being loud) 2. Let them play then ease into 3. reading a story 4. snacks at the table 5. craft I got most of this right but it was a bit chaotic as I didn't consciously think about it. Now, I have a plan. : )

I'll use the same technique on my art students. I made several flyers and put one up at the local YWCA and have to put more up at the library and market. Then I have to put an ad in the paper. Should be interesting. I have several lesson plans and art techniques to show them. Plus, I'm going to have them submit work to children's magazines. This should be a good form of encouragement.

As for my self, I've been submitting to various magazines, galleries and agents from the Illustrator and Graphic Artist Guide book. I have to say some of them are very snotty sounding. I skip those and move on. It's funny how I'm looking at them as good or bad, instead of the other way around. I'm a bit more selective now...don't know why, maybe just more experienced and I know what I want.

I've been working on several ideas for paintings...using a different approach and one that is more exciting for me, too. It's something I've been wanting to do...basically, it's collage work. Once I have some pieces finished, I'll be able to show something. Actually, I think I'll try doing the Illustration Friday theme "Dream" using my ideas.

I feel a bit better now that I've written about my rejections. I still have several resumes out there but I feel like I don't have to worry about them too much. Plus, August is ending and poor box is looking a little less poor. So, I'm on the up. Just a moment of feeling all unloved, is all.

Here are some pics I got before my disk drive broke:



This is actually kind of pretty. Titled, "Jacks on the mantel".

A while ago I mentioned that I was going to make my daughter a Totoro birthday cake. I did but it turns out it is the ugliest cake I've ever seen. Everyone was very kind to me and didn't mention how very ugly it was. It looks even worse in the picture.



I think the girls liked it even if it was ugly.
Well, at least this one did!

Lydia looks a bit aprehensive...I can't blame her. I tried to hide the ugliness of it with candles. I used all 21 candles and it was really burning hot. I don't think it worked.




At least it looked kind of good in the soft glow of candle light...

Comments

Popular Posts