Big Idea: Mistakes in sewing...

Well, since I can’t post any digital pictures, I thought I’d amuse you with a little story from my life. It started with my conceit and vanity towards patterns. Patterns, as in, I can make that dress without a pattern! Why would I buy a pattern? I can make that dress just by looking at it. It was that sort of pattern and that sort of vanity.

So, I got this big idea that I would make an easy slip on dress, sort of like a muumuu but more fashionable. Then I could walk around feeling 70’s-ish and relaxed. I have some really great material that is VERY 70’s and late 80’s. This print is actually beautiful and interesting.

I start out by trying to remember how someone on crafster.org posted about some actual muumuu they redid and made into a gorgeous skirt. Mind you this person was petit and must have had lots of sewing experience before jumping in. I, on the other hand, am just starting to make clothes for my self (exclusively by patterns, until now) and am not so petit.

I cut the fabric and sew up the hem (I’m good at hems…I have lots of curtains to prove this) and decide to be a little daring and sew in a cord like thing to keep the muumuu dress from falling down to my knees. I then added elastic on the top to be extra safe. I do a trial run and pull it next to me, showing off my curves and I think wow! This is great!

I’m feeling pretty good about this and before long the dress is finished. Only when I put it on, it doesn’t look like the trial run. I had pulled it close to me but this, this bunched up, and ruffled where ruffles were NOT supposed to be. I tried tugging at it and seeing if I could fit it next to me like in the trial run. But now, I had elastic to battle and a cord around my neck to take into consideration. No, this was not my cute vision. Heck, this wasn’t even a Mrs. Roper vision! I looked like a bell with ruffles…not very sexy, if at all, and rather pathetic.

I tried vainly to adapt it into a skirt but it was about 20 inches too long and looked even worse. Now, I had ruffles on my tummy…ruffles should not be on your tummy. Ruffles can be on your tummy if you are under six years old.

Sadly, I took the piece apart, bought a pattern and have since made most of the skirt. I think it will look very different and maybe stunning. I just need to finish it.

Maybe it’s a good thing I don’t have a camera on hand…here are some drawings I did of what it looked like:



You should be thankful I couldn't photograph this... : ) The thought didn't even enter my head!

Comments

Emily said…
Thanks Kasia!
Jan Halvarson said…
fun stuff !

Popular Posts