Beetles!

A few days ago we had a huge rain pouring (yesterday we had more rain, in fact...felt monsoon-like). I heard the rain hit the window and this weird buzz pop sound. I thought, okay a bug got chewed up in the air conditioner or something. But it wasn't the case. We still have our plastic on the windows from winter (cheap insulation from the cold, for all you Westeners out there) and so I have two towels rolled up on the top to keep cold air out and warm in as well. Apparently, this
  • black beetle somehow got in between the plastic and window glass because that's what was making the odd sound. This guy was huge! Nearly one and half inches in length and as black as patent leather. Actually, quite beautiful if I wasn't so scared at the same time. Well, I thought, it's going to die. Don't bother it. So, I left it alone. I showed Lydia the bug and she was like oh, a big bug. And she felt fine because A. it wasn't in her room and B. it's behind plastic. Me, I had nightmares last night and kept thinking it escaped and was climbing on me. So, I was quite irked by it even though I thought it was going to die.

    Well, I look at that beetle today. I had to. The air conditioner was acting funny and so I had to clean out the filter. And that's when I see the beetle is quite alive and is trying to climb out of the plastic. I mean, it's just sad. I start feeling really bad but scared too. So, I start thinking get, Jon to get it out. He can put it in a box and liberate it. Well, I start thinking about how big a baby I am and I got a box and one of my knitting needles. After I opened up the plastic the little guy fell on his back and I'm like, great I gave him a heart attack. For gods sake, wait to die until I get you outside, I think. I prod him into the box, and he's standing on his feet, phew! Then I quickly cover it up with a hard back book and run like hell down the steps with every hair on my body standing on edge. Mr. Nelson is like, what the hells the matter with you? And senses something big is happening.
    I run outside and dump the black beetle in the grass and he's on his back again. So, I splash him with water from the kiddy pool and he revives and digs into the ground. So, I feel better that I didn't let him die, that he's out of the house and I won't have any nightmares. He or she seemed to look at me thankfully from inside that box. Yes, we had a moment there of mutual fear and possible understanding? Well, I wish him luck in catching bugs, mating and producing other black beetles as long as they are well outside of the house. We've got to get new windows...
  • Comments

    Unknown said…
    I am a big liberator of bugs! As a child I used to save bees that were drowning in the pool. I did that recently and freaked out my kids! Good for you for conquering fear! It's a itty-bitty bug and you are a big human!

    Popular Posts