The Joys of Yarn

My it's a good feeling to make something with yarn. I just recently learned to knit and about 8 months ago I started crocheting. So, I've been really having a blast at these two. I learned to knit a bit from my mom. She taught me about 2 years ago, when I was pregnant with Norrie. But then we moved to PA and knitting got brushed aside. Then I started reading up on various blogs and seeing these gorgeous scarves, sweaters and socks at the stores...and seeing these really high prices too. So, I thought I can do that. I started to explore the book my mom got me but for some reason it wasn't clicking. :-) Then, I found out about "Stitch and Bitch" and ordered that book. For some reason, this made an impression on me and took away some of the myth of knitting being only for brilliant, precise people. I jumped in and actually started to understand some of the basics. I have one proud orange scarf ready for winter use and am working on two more. For one of the scarves, I'm using three yarns to create thickness and the other scarf has four yarns for thickness and texture. I like odd, different textures and would eventually like to incorporate beads. I'm actually thinking of purchasing some wool and a small spinning device so as to create my own yarn and get the feel for wool. I'm a bit nervous in using wool as I seem to shrink everything in sight, much to my horror. I shrunk a beautiful black shawl I loved because I forgot it was wool. I still get a knot in my stomach about that.

The good thing about shrinking that shawl is I started a crocheted shawl for my self. It's 99% done and I just need to get the last of the edging finished. It's really thick for winter. I'm going to love that shawl. The unfortunate or fortunate (depends on how you look at it) thing about knitting/crocheting around little ones, is they get really excited about doing these things too. So, I'm missing two crochet needles and I've on several occasions found my knitting needles in their hands and my knitting work laying around needle-less. And as you knitters out there know, this is quite horrible. Fortunately, I'm very methodical in this department and can get that needle back in place.

So, here are some pics of my gals doing what gals and guys of this age like to do...Imitate the big people in their lives.


I don't go around hugging my yarn. Well, maybe on occasion...

One thing to note, it seems that if you have a house filled with interesting, unusual objects and a tad on the messy side this makes for a more interesting and visually stimulating house for kids. Some people beat themselves up ( and I sometimes feel like doing that when I can't find something I'm looking for) for being messy. But actually, it's a good visual thing to have bits of clutter. I'm not saying avalanches of mess but little puddles here and there makes for a more relaxed home. And artistically, it's just darn fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read an interesting article on it I would like to share with you...

Popular Posts