Tuesday, March 8th 2005

My Goodness, the wind, the wind, the wind! "Beware the ides of March" Shakespeare. For some reason I always want to say the eyes of March. I know that sounds silly but it just seems to fit better for some reason. What are ides anyway? I looked it up at dictionary.com and it appears to mean the 15th of March, May, July and October and the 13th day in all the other months. Apparently, this was big to the Romans. Funny how things like this get lost in the centuries.

Ides of March, beware the 15th of March. Hmmm The eyes of March... I like that better...or rather the winds of March. I thought I or one of my little ones was going to blow away. I really did. Do you remember that scene either in the book or the Dizney movie of Piglet tied to a string like a kite and Pooh holding the string? That's what I felt like today with my girls. Then I went out with Mr. Nelson and played ball. All the snow melted yesterday because it got to be 64 degrees. I was a bit annoyed as we finally had snowman worthy snow and Jon and I made this 5'8 snowman and it melted into a little boulder. We got pictures so I will post them eventually. But today it got cold again 22 and this is good as the ground was not so muddy. It was really bad yesterday...yuck.

Mr.Nelson had a blast running around and used up all his energy by chasing his various sticks, balls and Frisbee. He was a very happy dog. I ordered him a new leash with his name embroidered in the collar. It's going to be purple and a matching purple leash. Right now, he's going crazy trying to get left over sour dough bread from dinner. He can be a bit piggish...now he's jumping at me. Very annoying...and he knows it too.

Anyway, we are removing old wallpaper from our hallway. There are 5 layers and 7 under the border. The bottom layer of wallpaper is this embossed wallpaper and looks like catherdrels. In fact, the hallway has a Church like feel. I don't care for this as this is my house and not a church. I do have crucifixs but they are purely ornamental. I have some Buddhist "charms" (I don't know the actual names for this so I call them charms) on the wall too. They have a beautiful, artistic look to them. My favorite is the icon from Bulgaria painted in the style of Russian icons. My husband got that for me. I'm half Bulgarian and like to collect a few things from my father's country.

Anyway, we got half the wallpaper off and it's starting to look all right. It needs to be painted, of course, and the other half of the wallpaper needs to be removed (that's next Saturday). It's neat to see the previous owners writings on the wall, so to speak. Apparently, the family before us lived here for over 70 years and I believe they even built the house. There's a signature of the owner as a child "Daniel" on the wall and various children's writings. The family sold to us after the brother had to be hospitalized (he passed away already) and there is one brother in the area. The three sisters are spread out across the country. It's interesting to hear the history of your home if it's an old one.

They were an Irish family and I found this ancient Irish newspaper in the basement. Most of it is about agriculture which is interesting and the sale of sheep and local politics. Very interesting. I hate touching it because it's so fragile. But it's neat to look at occasionally. Plus, I found tons of religious crosses, icons, books and various Catholic merchandise. I guess the people around here are pretty Catholic.

Okay, Mr. Nelson is going crazy again. He's attacking me like I'm food or something. He can be pretty aggressive for a little dog. I try the paper thing (you shake a paper at him and he's supposed to act like it's getting swatted). But he gets angrier instead and then attacks the paper. Annoying. I try holding him, and sometimes that works. Mostly, he acts crazy. All right we just made up and he's calm. Silly dog... :-/

I've started to do this aerobic tape. It's a good beginning tape and I like it. It looks easy but the other day I was so sore. So, I'll stick with this for now. You have to do something if you're always snowed in. It's terrible. Thank goodness the fireplace works. I love that fireplace.

Well, I actually have an assignment for the Wee Ones magazine! I'm excited about this so, I'm working on that right now. Does anyone know where I can submit to some other paying magazines? I do a variety of work and am very professional, get the job done asap, plus I will make changes if need be. I want to build up my portfolio and get some paying gigs too. Thank you! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts