Just reading...

some Joan Chittister and I'm moved again and again. She says it like it is. If you've never heard of Sister Joan Chittister here is her link

  • Sister Joan Chittister
    There is an archive button where you can view previous writngs.

    Honestly, if a lot of Christians were like Sister Joan Chittister, I'd have no problem joining that church. That's how she makes me feel. Not only is she compassionate, questioning in her writings she is logical. This is a big aspect I appreciate. Few people can capture truth and she does is in an excellent way.

    For example, the article she wrote about the inaugration for Bush. She wrote from her perspective, she was in Dublin at the time and there was a little blurb about Bush. What most papers showed and around the world (however, not in the US as I never heard of the situation until now) was a photograph of a young Iraqi girl covered in blood screaming. It was the blood of her parents that US soldiers had just killed because they were "suspected" of being suicide bombers.

    If this happened in America, that the police would shoot first and ask questions later (though it does happen on occasion) every time, I think we would laugh at the notion we were a type of Democracy. It makes me absolutely sick to think about how we are probably behaving in Iraq. Phil Ochs once wrote a song called "Cops of the World" and the lyrics still hold true and are especially relevant for today.

  • Phil Ochs


    "For also knowledge itself is power."
    -Bacon
  • Comments

    Anonymous said…
    hi my name is mark in the uk i started by getting images of susie sad eyes in google that eventually brought me here i read what you write with great intrest what we get to see from all around the world is of course selective what others choose for us to see so nice you mentioned phil ochs is there anyone like him today? i cant believe he didnt become bigger than he did his music and lyrics are so beautiful
    Emily said…
    Hi, Mark
    Thanks for writing...it's amazing how little we see about the outside of our world from main media. I didn't even know about the shooting by American troops of the girl and her family until I read outside sources. Amazing.

    Phil Ochs was truly a great and motivational singer. I agree, I don't know why he isn't bigger than he was...I've heard various reasons why. I believe Bob Dylan was supposed to have stolen some of his lyrics or something of that nature. Interesting the minor politics in music.

    I can't really think of people who compare in the passion Ochs had to unite people but there are definitely people out there who have insight. I'm going to do a blog on some of the ones that are dear to my heart. I'm thinking of Peter, Paul and Mary and Tracy Chapman off the top of my head. I'll try sharing a few of those in my next blog. :-) Thanks, again for writing. It's great to know

    Popular Posts