Illustration Friday...

Okay, I'm cheating with this one too. I made this about 2 or 3 months ago. I did it after certain events which caused me to spiral into a mild depression (thankfully) and doing this painting helped me to get by these feelings. I'm going to try and do one specifically for the word of the week, Crowded, later during the weekend. But for now, this is my entry:



I believe I called this one "Inner Thoughts". It was about the outside world seemingly trying to crush us. This was my response to that feeling of being crowded out.
I decided to darken the image with photoshop. Which one do you think is more interesting?

Comments

steve said…
Nice !
Kymberlee said…
Art Therapy in action! This is so wonderful; I love that you shared it here. I think the second is more visually pleasing because I'm partial to bright colors but I think the choice of such light colors in contrast with the dark lines makes the first one somehow more compelling. I know that "crowded" feeling so well; I find this very inspiring. Thank you!
Emily said…
Hi, Steve and Kymberlee! Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you liked my last post (the one about dog poop in the street). It was an odd experience to say the least...:-)

I agree with what you said on the color part of my work, Kymberlee. I feel like the darker version would stand up well for a computer image or if I had it on the wall. The lighter one maybe for a more personal feel...like a card or postcard, perhaps.

I truely believe that art is the a big part of healing and overcoming big obstacles to are can be oppressive. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts as well.
Kellylou said…
I love what you've done here. I feel like she is being cradled and at the same time held captive by all the emotions and colors going on around her. I'm also more partial to the second one -- but I like things that are bold and vivid. Thanks for sharing this -- I've felt this way TOO many times!
Janey said…
This is very good and very evocative. I know that feeling very well. All your thoughts just crowd in on you and it feels as if there's just no space to breath. Yes, I like this alot.
jas faulkner said…
At first blush, I liked the photoshopped version better. The thing is, you lose some of the effects you got with the wash in the originals. It would be a real shame to lose those because there is a subtle quality to the original that pulls you in.

Popular Posts