Tuesday...snow

I was under the delusion that we would have a snowless winter. Well, actually we had some snow but it melted just after Thanksgiving. I was actually happy it all melted because, honestly, it's too much for me. I'm a native Southern Californian. Southern as in no snow ever unless you shimmy up to Big Bear and see some snow on the ground...not falling. That's always what would happen to my family, whenever we trekked up the mountain. Actual mountains too...Not these little worn down hills of PA. Of course, with the big mountains of California, you have the big earthquakes too. Maybe the worn down hills are a good compromise.

Anyway, I learned I really don't care for snow from the past 2 years I've lived here in Altoona, PA. I'm just going to be frank about this. I don't like it because something always goes wrong when it snows. The first year of snow (we caught the tail end of winter) and we had just moved to Altoona. I thought I had lost my cat (he was missing for 3 days) and went around putting up signs on posts while 6 months pregnant, and standing outside in the cold wet snow yelling out "Sampson, Sampson!" in the vain hopes he'd come running. All this and he was in the basement. He wandered up to us like nothing was wrong, covered from head to toe in coal dust and looking like nothing was ever the matter. That's my first impression of snow...I hope it goes away; a feeling of fear and sadness.

The next time it snowed I had all the overwhelming feelings of my cat being lost to over come, plus my sorrow about my family and their situation back in California. It was tough, to say the least.

Then this year when it snowed, I got canned. Snow seems to be a negative for me...probably others as well but in my own little world, I feel especially punched by it. It's funny; I used to imagine (in the warmth of a Southern California afternoon)how lovely snow would be. Falling gracefully into soft mounds or packed high and smooth for sledding. And usually it's all these things...But the snow we've had has turned to ice crust on top and you couldn't even build a snow man. Disappointment, to be sure.

Another aspect of suffering from snow, is my lack in winter apparel. Actually, I've finally gotten my down coat so this is not longer a problem. I was packing my California winter coat (a windbreaker with thin lining) with double sweaters and still not being warm enough. Thank the stars for the down. Yes, I feel bad about the poor ducks but there is something to be said about staying warm. Most of my stuff is synthetic, so, I'm not too guilty.

Well, I was reading some web sites and came across a good one: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2683 It's an article about the debt that Sri Lanka and people of the effected areas have been dealing with. They pay 7 billion dollars a year(!) for their debt. Incredible but what's more you can do something by writing to our pres and asking him to forgive the debt so the people can create better lives. Go to the above link and read the article and there is a link for writing your message. I also like that there are grassroots groups in the areas you can contribute to directly.

Well, I hope everyone is safe and warm!
Peace, hope and love,
Em

Comments

Popular Posts