Sunday again...

Today I'm feeling sad...all these things happening across the ocean. It could very well be America sands this happened to. Horrible to happen to anyone of us.

Questions about my faith in a higher being...one I came to terms with many a year ago...are coming up again. The tsunami just reaffirms the sense we are all alone on this little planet called earth and ought to be helping each other regardless of country, faith and differences we have. It makes me angry that my president is still killing people for some vague reason. Enough with the killing! That's what I say. Enough and use our power for good, for God's sake! We have so very much potential to do good and what are we doing? Destroying one country and kind of sort of helping another.

What this earthquake means to me and I hope others feel or come to a similar conclusion is we need to respect the earth. We need to not destroy trees and build houses on shore lines that are in the path of danger. Certainly, it's hard to tell where devestation could happen, but as Mike Davis points out in several of his books, money is the cause for placing people in dangerous places. He mentions how in the LA area of California they used to sell properties right along the rivers edge...until most of the homes were destroyed when the rains came. All for profit. The cost of human life was not worth anything to these people but money was everything.

I was angered that many of the hotels in the area helped the rich tourists and did little or nothing for the people of the area. One person from the hotels even said the native people were "second-class citizens" and to deal with it. Maybe the wrong people were swept away by the tsunami.

What is it with this idea of class and wealth? If someone is in need, help them! I have no idea about the politics of Sri Lanka, Thailand and the other areas that were hurt by this, however, I do know the basic principals of humanity. Every person learns this in nearly all religions. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.


Comments

valentina said…
Amen, sister!
;-)

Popular Posts