I tried not to think about it

but I did. Now I'm sad again... It is a sad day in America. January 20th, 2005. The swearing in of an immoral, arrogant, and sick individual. I didn't watch the disgusting event but I did see a bit of the news and at least some talked about the protestors. It makes me sick. Is America mad? I wish I could see the positives of this person being re-elected. But where is it? What did this person do that was so good? All the policies this person put out benefited the rich and the corporations. Now, there are "problems" with Social Security and Iran.

See, I wouldn't have minded if this person was re-elected if he were honest, fair and did help people. But what has this person done??? Divided people with fear, made monsters out of innocent people, killed countless people and further bankrupted the government so that schools can't even afford basic needs like paper. THIS IS WRONG. This is what the blinded people of America have brought forth. Maddening.

It's a depressing thought that there are so many people who have made up their minds with lies and can only see in black and white (or should I say rich and poor). Amazing. Unfortunately, we have to wear this thing like a dead chicken around our necks (to borrow from Molly Ivins) and wait until things progressively worse.

I keep thinking about the people that didn't have to die, the 13,600 men and women, the 100,000 men, women and children in Iraq. Things could have been treated much differently but they were not. I used to think that my own personal life was tragic and so awful. But one thing I can say at least no one was hurt or killed in the process!

I don't believe in war. I don't believe that fighting is ever going to resolve anything. That's why people go to counseling, get therapy or else get leave the situation. This is normal. This is what we, as intelligent human beings, are supposed to do. Instead, we are doing the crazy barberic activity of slaughtering the weak and infirmed.

I believe, and maybe I'm too cynical, that most of the aggression toward people in Iraq is based on prejudice. I just saw the "Jack Johnson" documentary and it had so many interesting descriptions about American history. Mind you, this is history in the sense of less then 100 years ago. Black Americans were thought of as nothing and worse. I know this attitude extends to people of different origins and ethnicities too. If you are different you are feared. I admit feeling like this at times toward the unknown. Sometimes fear is a valid feeling; most of the times it is not.

What I'm getting at here is we think we are so seperated from our past...but our past is always there. And if you don't know the past, as the saying goes, you are doomed to repeat it. I think America is like a sick person who needs to go to therapy, get some good doses of self reflection and think beyond themselves. It's hard to do and many people struggle with this who want to change. The fact is many people don't even realize there is something wrong. They think by ignoring the problem it's going to be okay. But we've all been through that now, haven't we? Isn't that how 9/11 happened? Nobody wanted to face the warning signs.

Comments

Emily said…
I sometimes think that a draft wouldn't be such a bad idea...but as you mentioned most politicians would get their kids out of that real fast.
Absolutely agree about the gullibility of America and esp. on SS. I'm counting the days until either 1. Bush is impeached or 2. the end of this term. Most people are going to be sick of repubs and I think, I hope, that we'll be able to change a little of what's been going wrong. It's a depressing thought...especially when you think about all of the people you can't bring back from the dead.

Some people I've talked to say Kerry wasn't strong enough...I don't believe that, myself. I think that there was just enough lies and fear to create the person that is now the president. Thank the stars, it's only 1 more term.

Stay strong.

Peace,
Emily

Popular Posts