Friday post...

I've found there are still artists out there that think we have to suffer to the depth of extremes in order to create art that is meaningful. Some artists think that only some subjects should not be touched because somehow that will take the edge off of that subject. However, I disagree. Certainly, there is some truth that I wouldn't make a film or illustration about war with no one dying or superficial wounds, etc. However, there are many films, illustrations and comics that deal with very dark subject matter in an interesting and emotionally sound way.

I'm thinking about the film

  • Life is Beautiful
    . and the comic book by Art Spiegelman called

  • Maus
    . These two artworks handle a very dark subject matter, coincidently, about the holocaust, in a entirely different way say from the book Anne Frank. Some artists, think that in order to portray a period of time, one needs to be entirely realistic or not do it at all. One is entitled to their opinion, however, I do think without these various depictions of art we lose a new perspective of what is happening to humanity.

    This is a question about art, really, and not so much about the ethics of art. For that matter, shouldn't we, if we are judging on ethics, denouce films that portray women in demeaning roles, art that promotes prejudice and misconceptions of people who are different?

    But, as I said, that is based on an ethical standard, which is not an erroneous way to to look at art certainly. I'm thinking of

  • War and Peace
    by Leo Tolstoy (excellent book and one that needs to be read by many. I read the Maude translation, I believe; it's much more digestable.

  • What if someone said, you cannot do a painting of cats showing human attributes because it's too cutesy and demeans the human plight. I'd have to disagree. We can use cats and rabbits and any animal and it would not devalue the story of human suffering. For example


  • Watership Down
    byRichard Adams. This book shows the struggle of man in this framework and does so very realistically. When I first read this book, it was a bit hard to put my self in the mind set of a rabbit...that's when I realized it was not about rabbits, obviously. It is about our relationships with fellow humans and the intricacies of our personalities and dominance.

  • I guess what I'm saying is I find it arrogant that only certain arts can obtain a "higher" purpose and others are basically nothing. I find people who have this view of art often have the same perspective about them selves, thinking they are of a higher purpose and others are basically nothing. Certainly, I have my limits and would agree that movies like Dumb and Dumber should not have been made (and my case, viewed). So, obviously, I have a feeling of superiority over this film...and a much emptier pocket book too, I might add. So, I am guilty of the same feelings...so haha on me! :-)

    Anyway, I've never been really good at arguing this sort of thing so I'll just cut it short now and end with some basic reflections:

    20 Reasons why I'm glad I live in Altoona, PA (this coming from someone who has complained about moving to this cold, depressed economically town):

    1. My extended family

    2.I have a house that is less monthly then when we rented in California (we payed $650 a month and that was cheap!)

    3.The cold is bad but not that bad

    4.I have a drafty studio all to my self...usually

    5.I gave birth to my second daughter here

    6.There is a lot more wildlife and nature to love and protect

    7.My family likes to visit me to get away from the big city

    8.I'm not in the big city (though I sure miss Pho soup...and the Happy Family restaurant in Alhambra, CA)

    9.I'm with my life partner who loves me dearly and I love him dearly. As the saying goes, Birds of a feather, stick together...so true in our case

    10.I have more room to display my books...though I need more bookcases. Oh, well.

    11.I don't live in an apartment!

    12.I have a basement with 7 cat boxes (I have 4 cats) and a coal bin that is really dirty and creepy becaue I have not cleaned it out. It's too creepy.

    13.There are beautiful colors in Fall (I just developed 11 roles of film and was happy to see Fall colors again)

    14.Even though we are basically poor, we are not so poor and have a lot to be thankful for like the library. That's a pretty good place.

    15. I'm learning a lot of new things about this town...even if I don't want to.

    16.The people are mostly nice...a few farts but mostly nice. I guess you can say that about every place you live in.

    17. I got my dog...though this is bad and good (Mr. Nelson is "in the doghouse". He chewed up a leg on the dining room chair. I felt awful...the set came with the house and has been here probably since the 1930's).

    18. I can be at home with my babies and though I hardly have time to breath let alone do my art work, I really enjoy being at home.

    19.There are opportunity to meet people and I've realized everyone is not the same and it's not fair of me to judge people on what they wear or look like.

    20. The grandfolks are 2 blocks away and help as much as they can (and they do a lot).

    I'm pretty darn lucky, I think, to live where I do...it's funny how getting this down really makes you see there is positive things in your life.


    Comments

    Popular Posts