Subbing

At last I was called in at 6:15am to substitutes at an elementary school. My prime focus is junior high, but I'll take anything right now. It was really nice, however, to work with kids that are just starting out and haven't been burned out by the school years.

I worked with kindergartners! I don't know, but I think they are super fun, make me laugh and want to cry and just feel good. They are spontaneous with their hugs and tears. I learned that I am very human too. I'm not immune from life's failures and certainly not perfect. I left my class at the computer lab (I misunderstood the kind elementary teacher when she said "Your late for lunch" like the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland. She offered to help me...turn off the computers but I thought she meant she was going to take the kids down to lunch. Yikes! ). Oh, it was intense and embarassing to say the least.

Then there were the random tears flowing at not getting a red jello, being separated from their best buddies, getting tired, wanting their momma, someone pulling their hair, etc. It was high emotion. Then there were the smiles, the hugs the "I love yous", and the manipulation for the candy basket. I don't really like that part but I think it's all right to give them some sweets. I certainly do that with my kids and puppy (who is chewing on my shoes. Fortunately, my foot is not in it).

I liked the kids, I admit. Would they like to see me again tomorrow? Will I be called in tomorrow? I don't know. The principal is a nice guy, quiet and soft spoken. I can understand that. But it's all a matter of how the snow flake falls.

Speaking of which, thank the stars it's not snowing! I'm really happy it's only wet and rainy. The rain is hard at times and it sounds pregnant with hail. I'm happy I'm inside and it's quiet (except for Mr. Nelson, who just went through his crazies). The smell of a burnt out fire swirls past my senses and the road sounds wet as the cars drive. It's a nice quiet moment. I missed my girls but not in a break my heart kind of way. More like a I know they are mostly safe and I am glad. Although, I am sad to know that my trusted in-laws are not as trusted to be thought. They drove down to their house (mind you it was 2 blocks away) with only 1 child in car seat. They weren't going to tell me. Can you believe this? I haven't ever done this with my kids. I would not do this. I'm shocked and quite angry about their lack of concern. They are more concerned with being clean then safety. This bloggles my mind. My dad-in-law even casualy said "and you'll never now which one was in the car seat." I replied "That's very Sofie's Choice of you." I want to tell them this too "You know if the girls get hurt in your car and there's blood, you're going to have to get your upholstry cleaned professionally." Yes, that's very sarcastic but they need to realize you don't play around with children like that. I don't know why they are so flippant about their grandchildren. They keep talking about how it was in the 60's but my god, it's the year 2004! All it takes it one wrong move.

Baby sitters, paying for one, sounds better and better. I know they are free, but I wouldn't mind paying for one if they didn't treat my children like bags of clothes. I don't get it. I even want to get my dog a seat belt for the car!

I was quite dismayed by this and it has dampened my upbeat feeling from the rest of the day. I'm going to have to stress the importance of children car seats or I don't know what. I'll research all the worst news I can find and give it to grandma and hopefully, grandpa will come around. As my dad is fond of saying (and I really hate this expression but it seems to fit) "Foolishnes".

Comments

Popular Posts