Monday....brrrrr

It's warming up... It's now 12 degrees Farenheit! Last night it was 1 degree. Not that I can tell the difference. It was freezing cold...the kind of cold where the grass starts to look white and ashy. The ground is so hard it's like walking on crunchy concrete. It's good thing we have to be padded; if you fell you'd fall painfully.

I still don't have a winter coat. I have my old "winter" coat from California. The kind that is warm when it's a California cold of 45 degrees. This coat is not doing the job here in Pennsylvania. The wind slices through and it feels like I'm wearing a lace dress or something. Terrible.

Now my hands are starting to rebel. They gotten so chapped and scratchy I can hardly crochet with out getting the yarn stuck on my hands. I'll have to get some heavy duty cream.

At this moment, my darling daughters are 1. blowing bubbles into their milk cup and 2. have banana oatmeal spread about her forehead bottle and hair. Such is the life of happy, healthy babies.

Mr. Nelson is peeing on the floor more lately. I don't know how to change this. I understand it's so cold outside that I don't even want to open the door. Poor Mr. Nelson. Even if he pees on the floor/rug at least he licks up the oatmeal off the chairs/table and floor. He's pretty good, usually.

My oldest daughter tells Mr. Nelson (when he tries to mooch off her tray) "I'm not your lunch!" And she's assertive too. I'm glad she's telling this dog to sit, no and "teel" as she says it (heel).

I got up at 4:30am with Jon. We were looking for thermal underwear. I found it later in the washer. I ended up staying awak until 9am. Cleaned, straightened and tried to do all the little things I couldn't do with the girls around. I got the christmas lights on, finally. I was so angry because every string seemed to have half the lights not working. I found an extra string of lights and Jon's parents gave me 2 (but one only worked). Glad that is out of the way. Now, I need to decorate.


Norrie eating breakfast



Lydia finishing up



Mr. Nelson looks innocent but that's my daughter's winter hat under his tummy


It's too cold to snow. That is good and bad. I want it to snow...but then I don't want it to (ice is not far behind this).

We got a fake tree. Wah! I wanted a real one but everyone is too sick to go to the Christmas tree farm and they don't sell trees at the Target over here. Sigh... I really wanted a real one. I did buy a small potted tree that we will plant. That does make me feel better. I wish I could swipe a few branches of my sis-in-laws Blue spruce. It's a giant tree (over 40 feet high, I'm guessing). Beautiful and I wish we had one. I can't believe how cold it is. 1 degree last night and it "warmed up" to 12 degrees. Insane. I took Mr. Nelson out for a bathroom break and the leash rubbed against my poor dry hands and made them bleed! This has never happened. I had to go in because I thought I'd faint.

I hope everyone else is staying warm...as much as possible.

Em in the cold East. How I feel: why did we move here? Book I'm reading: True Grit by Charles Portis

  • Charles Portis


  • Wish I had read this before I talked to the people with the school situation. It's a great and inspirational story. I thank Lyndad Barry for mentioning once on one of her listings on Ebay.
  • Lynda Barry!
    She's so cool!



  • Comments

    Popular Posts