Cure for depression...

I've found a little cure for depression. I've always known that walking is good for you. And I like walking with my little girls, a lot. But walking with a dog is something entirely different. I mean it's almost totally social. You just feel different. And people are different. Suddenly, there are smiles and "aw, what a cute dog!" I get that with the girls too, obviously. But now I get double the amount. It's a good feeling.

As for Mr. Snowflake Nelson, he is doing well. Pooping everywhere but outside, but doing well. I found a soft poop in my daughter's bedroom. I'm really, really glad I found it before her.

I think my cats have forgiven me for getting this new little addition. I've seen them all (they came out of hiding) and they have at least acknowledged me. I do feel a bit bad about that...but hey they'll adapt. They had to for each other.

One thing is certain. No more new pets. Not for a long time. Or at least until around next November. I'm thinking guinea pigs. I really do like animals. I'm an animal artist (I do paintings of animals and other subjects) and they are such good inspiration. The nice thing to know is that every one of my pets needed a home and I got them free.

In other news, I'm picking up my crocheting and trying to use up the last of the yarn. I'm annoyed because I went to shop for more yarn and they-were-out! This so angers me. Of course, if you saw me in the store you'd see this tall woman in a big red jacket with a slight pinched look about the eyes and pursed lips. If I'm by my self, I usually will just give up and buy something else or nothing. If my husbands there, I'll try and convince him to ask...he usually does...and then the same remark is always heard, "If it's not on the shelves it's not in stock." Very annoying and I have this feeling there is this plot to rid the world of yarn. Or at least sell a few bits of the stuff I like. I guess I like the stuff that's too popular. Hey, what can I say? ;-)

Cheese. That's another subject all together. I'm slightly lactose intolarent...I can take a bit of milk but after 1 cup, I'm screwed. And I love cheese. I can live with out milk but I love cheese. Edam. That's our recent tasting. Very good texture (firm and not soft), mellow taste and good for those hard days when you just want to relax and not have too much excitement. I've got to explore crackers. We've been sampling low sodium wheat thins. Tasty but a tad too rich. I like Melba, personally. That is the taste of a pure cracker. I don't care for additives and ever since I had my kids, I've become sensitive to salt (swollen feet).

Restaurants
Lately, I've been feeling like going out (I'm sure this is because of having a dog. I'm telling you they are good therapy. Who would have thought!). Dave's Dream, a local restaurant of Hollidaysburg, is well known to the people of Altoona. It has a reputation for the elders of the community but is very family oriented and I've seen a few nose piercings and purple dyed hair there. So, it's pretty darn cool and relaxed as well. They serve a choice of bread (if you're early) white or wheat (I like the wheat) and then they have simple home style yummies. I'm not a vegetarian (I was at one point) so I esp. like the stuffed pork chops on Sundays (only on Sundays, as I learned when we made a middle of the week run). There are lots of good things to get, even for the vegetarian. The salads always make me laugh. Originally, I was from California and a salad is a true salad there. In other words, no meat. But if you order a salad in PA or Altoona, PA, you will get on your salad a choice of turkey or chicken, and french fries. This is incredible to me! French fries on your salad?!? Hey, I'm not about to get angry about it. But I do pity the person tryin to shed a few pounds and sees this on their plate.

They've got some good food around here, if you look. It's really a matter of luck. There are great Italian places and some more generic stuff. I miss Alhambra CA. The variaty of Asian cuisine is incredible. They have a great soup called "Pho". Beef. I haven't had beef in ages (I'm really worried about that mad cow junk) so maybe it's not so bad being tempted. Yeah right.

My favorite of all places was the Happy Family Restuarant of Alhambra off of Atlantic. I love love loved the fried eggplant with cilantro. I wish I could make this. If anyone knows the recipe please email me! I'm not kidding about this. I've looked and can't find it anywhere. :-(

Well, enough homesick dreaming for now. I can't even have a good albondigos soup (I tried this on my own but it wasn't quite the same). Another great Alhambra restuarant, Casa de Calderon. Good food and nice people. Everytime I went I felt like I was watching a movie...it has a good feel about it. Okay, now I'm really sad.

Enough, I'll be writing more tomorrow. I can already feel a pound growing on me from all this writing.


Comments

Popular Posts