Substitute teaching and my rambling mind...

As a substitute teacher trying to get a full time art teaching job in my location, it's been an adventure. Unfortunately, with covid hitting, it's made it even more challenging. Not only did I not get unemployment based on very strict $$ per week/quarters and 18 weeks looked at your work history criteria, I am waiting and wondering about a more flexible pandemic unemployment potential. I found out yesterday that 70% of people are waiting on unemployment. They got nothing. Then, when I applied for Pandemic UE, it was flawed and the system had to be redone. So frustrating and stressful. In the mean time, I scout job ads and see what I can apply for safely. It's a scary situation. I'm used to poverty and living on less. In fact, I think it's better (thinking of cutting back is good for the environment) to go this route, naturally.

I feel like there is no security net for people. Even if you have a good income, I feel like this is weighted by fear it could be lost or downsized. It's this impending feeling of everyone falling and not being secure. My wish is that our government would stop playing politics and put people first. Stop catering to big business and lift up the millions who are floundering and struggling because our system has been based on punishing the poor and working class, for years. It's time to water the roots and help our people or, quite honestly, America is not going to be America but a total flat out cutthroat countries like Libya or other place that has no government for the people. I do not want that but what we are seeing is a crumbling middle class in the last 2 weeks. We no longer have a sturdy diamond (the widest would be middle class) shape but a pyramid shape. This makes for chaos and really dangerous futures for the next generations especially with covid-19 and global warming. We need to stop whatever politics we have and help one another. This is UBI (universal basic income), Medicare for all and forgiveness of debt. A lot of people won't want to hear this but it goes back to biblical times of forgiving debt (the Jubilee ). We need to get into this practice immediately or more people will feel desperate and that is the opposite of how you fight disease and instability. I want all people so focused on a cure and healing, that all our energy is focused on solving these problems. It's possible but it does require letting go of greed and selfishness. I hope more people will do the right thing and take time to voice their feelings and thoughts to leaders. I honestly believe leaders need to know how to lead but listening to the people. If they aren't, you can tell because nothing to very little gets done.

Going back to stability, I just hope, regardless of what the future holds, we can lift one another up beyond words, volunteering and donations but by giving people value through wages that are well paid, forgiveness of debt (whether it's school loans, credit debt, medical, etc) and work to make the world a better place for many. I do not think these are far fetched ideas, in fact, this is what makes a society whole and healthy. This is what we all desperately need right now. Be safe and work towards a healthier world, my friends.

Comments

Popular Posts