"Charlie Green"

Was reading a headline in the news...I'm not reading the news as much. In fact, today was the second day of reading headlines and I did read some articles I admit (like bush let NSA spy on Americans...which is WRONG! These were people being spied on for a vague reason and I'm assuming, most likely no reasons connected to current events. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Hint: No WMD's). Anyway, that got me annoyed but I started to think about the famous Ben Franklin quote:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

*******************************************

I also read another headline "San Francisco Renting Christmas Trees" and I thought what in the world? So, I read that one and realized it's about giving back to the environment and making your part of the world a bit better. I liked that. One mother did this to show her kids how to be environmentally aware. The donated a tree and the kids named it "Charlie Green". I just thought that was so endearing...and we've all seen the Charlie Brown "Christmas special" with the little tree and how everyone comes together and decorates it...

Anyway, a funny line in the story and that which I'm making the quote of the day is:

"Granola-eating, sandal-wearing type people"

I love this! I wouldn't mind being described that way. Lots of good people eat granola and wear sandal's.

I, however, don't eat enough granola (in fact, I can't remember when was the last time I had some. I think I need to go the health food store and pick some up, you know us liberal types...lol!). The funny thing is I'm wearing sandal's right now. Yes, there is four feet of snow outside...these are cheap versions of Birkenstocks that I have for wearing around the house. Plus, I'm wearing white socks with them. I'm comfy, not stylish, mostly comfy. However, I do own big pink puffy slippers too.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/265255 (On renting Christmas trees)
****************************

In other news, Jon had to take the SUV (four wheel drive) and this has the kids seats in it. This means I can't go Christmas shopping/mail packages. I'm going to be late, again, with X-mas stuff. VERY ANNOYING. I'm house bound with two crazy kids, four cats, four sluggish rats (they are nocturnal), a hyper bichon and me. Plus, I have a HUGE pile of cards to send out. I was ranting at Jon last night, why do I have to do all the shopping, etc. Let me tell you, I hate shopping. I would rather shovel out a chicken coop then face crowds at the mall. Mind you the mall here in Altoona, is nothing compared to the mall in California. That thing was huge! And you had tons of people walking around looking at stuff, buying. Ugh! And you had to go with the flow or risk getting stomped on. It was very suffocating.

It's not that I don't like people...in fact, I love people and I love watching them and seeing their expressions. But when you've got to march into a place and pick out gifts that are either overpriced or become a wizard at reducing prices and coupons, you lose something. It becomes a strange game...I'd rather be fishing. I really would. Maybe not ice fishing...but I'd rather be outside collecting a bunch of pine cones or sewing or knitting or especially painting. Now, I feel sad. I think I need to do a few paintings…which is hard to do when your husband has to work overtime.

Why do I work myself up? I am making things as well as bought a few things. I'm all stressed out for nothing, I'm sure. I just wish cards were enough. Maybe instead of wanting “things”, maybe we could buy trees for neighborhoods without them because I've seen neighborhoods near where I live without a single tree and it's pretty ugly and unfair.

Well, before I start doing a "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" rant, I'd better great life. Ciao!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Greetings and happy holidays! I`m the "flag bearer" for the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band". I have enjoyed reading your blog. Teaching children to use their creativety has got to be one the most valuable and important jobs there is- besides being a parent. I so commend you for that. Your artwork definitely reveals your talent and the illustrations are very charming. Great to meet you!
Hi..I'm amember of the Friends of The Friendles March Band and am sooo very happy to visit your blog. I too am an artist and it is always a pleasure to meet and greet another artist...I don't happen to wear sandals, Though I do wear white socks ALL the time, and I don't eat granola either, but I am most certainly a liberal, and proud of it!!!(lol)
I love the story about the tree...very very wonderful. So happy to be visiting someone who is filling in the gap at our schools where the arts are concerned! GOOD FOR YOU, and for them!
won tong said…
ANNOUNCING THE ARRIVAL OF FFMB CLAANG CLANG I'M GOOD ON THE CYMBELS YOUR NEIGHBORS ARE WONDERING WHAT ALL THE NOISE IS.. WELL WERE HERE TO CHECK OUT YOUR FABULOUS SIMPLY FABULOUS SITE..IT'S AWESOME.. WILL SEE YOU NEXT FRIDAY OR MAYBE SOONER I GOTTA KEEP UP WITH THE OTHERS..LAAAATER
I really like the way that your blog seems to be "bright", colors and words ----
jal
Stephen here, the Baritone player. I love your content and artwork. Granola... it used to come in boxes as breakfast cereal, bu now it's all bars. I, too, wear sandals.
Rhiannon said…
Hi Emily, what a great blog you have! I'm an Artist also. I'm from the FFMB, I play the piano. I know weird to do that in a band isn't it?..lol..:o)

I have fake burkenstocks also!..had some original old ones but they finally fell apart. I'm a moderate liberal here! I agree with what you said about liberty or "paranoid" you can only go so far until you are letting fear control your whole life and our country. I hear ya! Like you I don't watch hardly any tv also, too much violence and petty stuff I'm not into. I don't watch much news either just enough to keep up with the important things we need to know,(depending on who's telling the story)however last night I ended up watching Bill Maher on CNN Larry King, and the whole hour was with him was excellent. He says what he thinks no holds barred, plus he's so funny. I agreed with everything Maher said. He said something last night I don't think I will ever forget and hope many don't. "America needs to get over itself, be more diverse, catch up with the world, face and deal with environmental issues,grow up instead of thinking we know everything,(our way or the highway), and stop thinking everyone else is wrong and we are always right mentality". I couldn't have said it any better! If gave me hope for this country. I think I will get his newest book!

I have lots of allergies too and sometimes its very hard. I can't be around cig smoke at all and in this county I live in, cig smoking rules! So I can understand about the allergies and feel for ya!

I think you have a great blog and enjoyed reading your post.

Take care now, Happy Holiday, less stress, more love and laughter and "peace". Have good dreams.

With Angel Blessings,
Rhiannon
Lazy Daisy said…
Hi Emily, I'm part of the band and making the parade route. Seems like I'm bringing up the rear as we were at the airport picking up our "Canadian Kids".

Anyone who teaches art to kids is ok in my book.

Be kind to yourself and realize that you are giving these kids an outlet that they will be able to use for the rest of their lives.

Tamborines are always needed...fall in! Lazy Daisy
Carol said…
Thanks for joining up, Emily. We can use a good tambourine player.
You will be on the FFMB roster and can join the parade route on Friendly Fridays when we go visiting friendless sites.

Please nominate interesting sites that you know or come across.(ie. sites that don't get many comments)Leave their address as a comment on my site.

You can get to know the other members of the band through the links for the roster on my blog.

Hope you enjoyed your Friendly Friday.
Emily said…
I have to say it's very nice to meet you all! What great comments...now I have to go and visit all of your blogs! : )

Thanks, Mango! Flag bearers are very important.

Nice to meet you too, OO Lady of the Hills...can't wait to see some of your art as well.

Cymbals need to be clanged and sometimes you have to shake things up! Great to meet you Sister Celtic.

Thank you, Jal! Hopefully, I'll be able to keep my light burning bright...

Stephen, glad to see another sandle wearer!

Rhiannon, artists are creative and unique...doesn't surprise me you'd be playing the piano in band. : ) Glad to meet you, too. It was great to see the Senate shake off the shackles of fascism. Hope they keep it up. I'm going to look up that Bill Maher book...always was a fan.

Thanks, Kathy! I'm shaking my tamborine in time, hopefully! : )

This is a fun idea, Carol. And I appreciate it, too. Count me in for tamborine playing on Friendly Fridays. Peace, Em
Lish said…
I'm here from this FFMB thing, which I'm not sure what that is. I love that quote. I call one of my good friends Granola 'cause he's a little bit of a hippie. Ofcourse, so are a lot of people in Austin. I mean no harm, just teasing.
David Edward said…
( bassoon) bringing up the rear- I wear socks w my bkn stocks, my kids thinks its ugly - I know its right, have a beautiful wekend - and drop by for a taste of southern california hospitality soon.
Unknown said…
Hello from a tardy member of FFMB. I am the flute player. I hate the holiday shopping frenzy too. I love the design of your blog!
Emily said…
Thanks, Dwayne, Lish, David and Barbara!

We each have our own musical instrument to play and yet find a way to communicate with each other. Excellent.

Popular Posts