All I want for Christmas is...

So, I teach art lessons and I've got a bunch of cute kids that learn from me, but believe me it's very vice versa too. I have the kids start off with journaling/drawing. Sometimes, I'll give them random things to draw or other times abstract concepts or even holiday themed ones like "What are you Thankful for...", etc.

I've gotten ear fulls on thankfulness for: Toys, not sure what they're thankful for and thankful for snow. Last week a conversation at the art table commenced with "what do you want for Christmas?" This ranged from money, cotton candy people, blue snow and animals ability to talk. Fodder for an artist and esp. a children's illustrator. Delights unfold. : )

One of my favorite artists is Lynda Barry and she (among others) inspired me to try teaching art and kids. I can see why. Kids are such amazing fun. They make you see with new eyes. My own children remind me constantly of love: they are reminders of how to be tender and firm all at once.

*************

One of my new years resolution, for it is that time again, is to let things be. If the house is a mess and I'm working with my kids, to let it be till later. To be in the moment. It's hard to do but it is doable. I can't do all things and I won't. I don't want to, really. For now, I'm happy with what is.

This, however, does not mean taking my dreams and smashing them under heels of regret. It means to know your dreams are there, ready for the taking. When you need them, they will be there.

It's also funny, how, when you do begin to stretch past your old ways you find new ways and new people. One of my favorite books, "Stretching Lessons" by Sue Bender talks about this sense of self. It's a very quiet book and should be read in short bursts so that you can contemplate it. Actually, reading is meditative...what a wonderful, surprise.

***************

What my house smells like right now:
Cilantro
deep fryed flour
garlic
eggplant
pepper

What does your house smell like? I know my bedroom smells like something not so good (pooy diapers) but at least this new smell of food will conquer ye stinky smells. : )

Comments

Carol said…
Hi Emily,
My name is Carol and I am the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band. I choose a friendless site to feature every Friendly Friday.
You have been nominated for the featured Friendless Site.
Being nominated as a friendless site only means that your blog
doesn't have many comments but you have been singled out as being
worthy of more attention.
I hope you will come play along.

My home is odorless, right now. That is strange.
Emily said…
Thank you, Carol! It's nice to be acknowledged and know there are such kind people in the world! : )

If there is room for a tamborine, I'll play that. ; )

Popular Posts