No camera...no pics...

I don't have a digital camera and haven't been able to post any pictures. VERY Frustrating. But just because my disk drive is broken does not mean I haven't been busy. Now that's a bit of crazy logic or what!

I've baked bread, made zucchini bread, made pizza from scratch (delicious!), been cooking up lots of veggies and made veggie burgers from scratch. This was a recipe from my adopted grandmother. She was the first person I ever knew who was vegetarian as she was Seventh Day Adventist.

My mom has tried to make this as well and I have both of them mingled in my mind as how to make these veggie burgers. I'm sure there is a better recipe out there than the one I improvised. Here it is:

Some left over oatmeal (about two cups of oatmeal already cooked/cooled)
extra oatmeal
2 eggs
soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce (try saying that three times fast!)
dried onions
Mrs. Dash
some cottage cheese (about half a container)
Mash all of this together and mix like you are making meatloaf. I just seasoned until everything looked slightly brownish. Oatmeal is very plain so, putting extra spices (such as garlic, cumin, etc) is a good idea both for taste and visual appeal.

Then I made little patties and fried in olive oil. It's not a vegan meal but I can see how you can adapt it for that. As for the patties, they came out delicious. You can add wheat germ or even tahini for more texture. I didn't have any on hand so I skipped that. You could add all sorts of things and make your own varieties. As long as you can eat oatmeal, this is a nice change.


All this cooking is not because I have a lack of things to do. We are on a super tight budget as the plumbing bill came in (300! yikes) and the health care stuff. So, no eating out and very limited spending. Can I say this stinks big time?!? But it's forcing me to think of new ways of cooking (for me) and I have to say the pizza I made last night was really good. I'm lucky I have a pretty well stocked kitchen and what I don't have, I figure out what I can use instead. Plus, I have a handy dandy cook book, the internet and usually patient family members.

Did you know it's really easy to make bread? The biggest part of making bread, is the waiting. Also, if you want sour dough bread you have to wait 24 hours for the yeast to ferment. Haven't tried that yet, but I will.

Weather wise: Gloomy. It's 10 am and it feels like 6 am. We're going to try and pick up my birthday Gingko tree. Why is this tree, a Gingko, so important to me? Well, the first home I lived in had a beautiful Gingko tree and I used to jump in the leaves as a child. I'd also watch it from the top floor window and when the fall came bright yellow leaves would fill the air like tiny yellow goldfish. I hope that tree is still there. My sister and parents-in-law were loving enough to see how much it meant to me and got me one for my birthday. It means a lot to me.

Comments

Kim's Suitcase said…
sorry to hear of your finacial troubles but seriously your post is inspiring, it is funny when things limit us that more can often be seen, done than if we were not limited, thank you for reminding me of this.
Emily said…
Thanks, Kim!
Neseccity is, indeed, the mother of invention! : )

Popular Posts