Illustration...Wednesday!

I got in early! I'm happy about this as I thought I would be skipping this weeks theme. Why? For several reasons...1. I had a flu/food poisoning on Monday and it was not pretty. I still feel a little sick to my tummy. It was horrible, let me say. I don't think I'll be able to eat anything from Subway for a long while. The last time I was hit by food poisoning it was a salad from Wendy's. I haven't gone back (over 6 years ago). 2. I thought I'd need more time to finish my book but I finished it this morning!!! I'm very happy and all it needs is a few touch ups here and there and then I have to copy it and send it off! YAH!!!! I'm happy about this. It's my first book and probably looks like it but what the heck. I'll give it a try. 3. I'm still recovering from my Monday ordeal, if you know what I mean. Yucky poo...poo. Oh, well.

So, I'm happy I got this done. The theme is "Sorrow". For some reason birds kept fluttering around my mind but I guess it's a word play sparrow/sorrow or something. I didn't want to go too dark but I knew I wanted to do something true to my self. So, I did this illustration in Photoshop. It's called "Weeping Woman".

Weeping Woman
I think it's self explanatory. The process of creating this was a bit more challenging for me as I kept running in circles with the layers. But it feels all right in the end. I would have liked to have more contrast with the tears but for some reason when I flattened the image it all blended away. This was frustrating and I had to rely on obvious tear symbols which I am not too fond of. But they will do for this.

In other news, I went to see "Vagina Monologues" by Eve Ensler at the Community Arts Center Penn State Altoona. It was really well performed and the stories so intense, beautiful and horrifying. It's funny because I thought it was going to be a lot more riske than I thought. It was very tastefully done and might I add humorous and insightful. It's a good play to go to and I was happy to learn 10 percent of the proceeds went to women in Iraq and the rest to a local woman's group in Blair County.

It's funny how we often think we need to help those that are far, far away from us, but the reality is help is needed everywhere. Abuse is something that can be right next door and the way to solve it is to be aware and talk to people. It sounds simply but it isn't and this is why we need to have safe havens for all people in many places. I'm glad to know my community is doing something about this and I could help in a small way. It also makes me happy to know there are caring people out there...this world is not as dark as it sometimes seems.

When my husband and I were at the play, I didn't realize it (my hearing isn't always 100 percent) but some young people behind me were saying negative things about the play. Mostly young ones who didn't really understand (and most likely where there because they would get some school credit from their professor). I was surprised to learn about their negative responses but I admit for someone who hasn't thought much about abuse or curiosity about their own body, it would be hard for them to understand. I hope this opened their eyes a little. It's not just a play for and by women, it's for all people really.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i love your woman...and i think the tear symbols are entirely suitable in this circumstance, they co-ordinate with the rest of the style. good luck with your book...i screen manuscripts for an editor friend of mine from time to time, and trust me, if you have even put in a half-assed effort, it'll be far superior to most of the garbage that i've read!(it's very suprising what people submit!)
-kerry
Emily said…
Thanks, Kerry! I'm glad the tears aren't too overwhelming. Also, thanks for the encouragement for my book. It's nice to know some insider info. :-)
Unknown said…
Hi Emily. I really like your illustration and actually, I enjoyed your whole blog! Mr. Nelson is adorable. Your work is very nice and I look forward to hearing more about your book.
-Bettsi

Popular Posts