Sunday...

Hello, world!
Well, I'm on a coffee high, let me get that out now. So, anything I type may sound rushed and hyper...this is why. Altoona does not carry a Starbucks. I know, it's very establishment and all, but I do so like their coffees, and hey, they did/do donate a lot to organizations and schools (when I worked at the Alhambra library, they gave to the literacy program there, very cool).

Anyway, Altoona has no Starbucks but they do have a Sheetz gas station/food/coffee place. The one on 17th street is brand spanking new and is a bit too big, but hey, it's got pretty darn good coffee. Plus, I like their newspaper selection. I haven't looked for the NY Times but they did have the Washinton Post, so, that's good.

I'm drinking their peppermint coffee. It cooled off in the car, but it's good stuff. I went on an hour long shopping outing by my self. This is big stuff to a mama of two little ones. I can't believe how nice it was and quiet. I was kind of psyched up because I put my new bumper stickers on "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" and "All mothers are working mothers" from www.nothernsun.com I was very happy to spread my little bit of self out into the world.

Sometimes, I get a bit sad. I left a lot of friends in California, I mean a lot. More than I realized. Also, there was the whole familiarity and even if my family is problematic, they are my family after all. But I was happy to know, I'm my own best friend. I hope I don't sound like I'm depressed too much, at least.

I do know a few people, my neighbors (of all things! In CA this was kind of hard to do), and once we start going to Church, I'll have Church friends. I'm also going, when I remember, to the art group called Art in Common. These are great people, and I look forward to meeting more of them.

Speaking of Church, I'm planning on going if I ever wake up early enough. It's an Episcopalian and I would like to try the Unitarian. Like I said, waking up is a factor. I really wanted to go this Sunday, but we are getting over the flu. Thanksgiving was not as picturesque as we imagined. My eldest daughter, 2.5, threw up all over. She kept at it until 5 am. Around 1 am I started to do that, and then, my husband, Jon. My youngest got over it about 4 days before. So, we all came down with the flu. yuck.

There is an Episcopalian meeting on Thursdays at 6:30pm, I believe. Perhaps, we will try that. We are not willingly early birds. They only way I like to get up early is to do yard sale shopping. I know, that's a bit shallow, bit it makes me happy.

This year, I am trying to make at least half of my Christmas presents. I love doing this. I think it really is what Christmas is about. Making things for the ones we love. The process of making something with your hands and using that exspensive commodity of time, is really more meaningful then buying stuff off the shelves. That's my opinion. Others may have different ones, and that is perfectly fine. I'm a snob, what can I say.

Of course, the best thing is being there with your family in a loving way. I think this is really the cake and all else is the icing. I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'm sorry for the food metaphors. Coffee is not filling.

Well, I went to the local AC Moore craft store. They didn't have my yarn! Now, I have to order it. I'm making my best friend, Caroline (who lives in the crazy state of Ohio), a baby blanket for her coming little bundle of joy. I have to say, the blanket is looking pretty darn beautiful. I may have to may my self one. I love crocheted soft baby blankets. I wish I was petite sometimes so I could wrap myself up in one. Unfortunately, I can only get away with wrapping up my head in one. Oh, well.

Speaking of small, we may be getting a Free bichon fress. I stress FREE because no way in hell would I spend $600 on a dog. That floors me. I just have to think of all the homeless pups and kittens at the shelters, and it breaks my heart. All my cats needed homes. 2 were street cats (and by pure luck, they were healthy), one was born from a stray cat mama, and the other was going to be given to the pound. It's a lot of work, but on these cold days, it's sure nice to have walking heating pads around. I swear they are so good on your feet!

Well, the sweet potatoes are up. I gotta go.

Peace and good will, pass it on!

Comments

Popular Posts