Illustration Friday: Self Portrait

I did this painting six years ago. It was for my last class before graduating...



Inspired by Diego Rivera and Frida Khalo, I combined elements of these artists in my work as well as incorporating symbols I found important at the time. This was just after I married my husband. Oddly, I knew that in marrying him we would eventually move to Pennsylvania. When he would talk about PA, it was as though he was talking about a world of so much potential, life and green. I was interested and afraid at the time...only knowing the city and big city life...buildings, patches of undeveloped land, and people en masse. Altoona is far from this and has amazingly open areas where, if you drive at night, there is a quiet darkness that seems to go on forever.

As you might have guessed, we moved to PA three years after I made this painting. I knew I would shed many tears upon leaving but at the same time, I've found new appreciations for all that I've found along the way to where I am.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love your take on the theme!! Very nice concept, cool illo!
valerie walsh said…
I really love the way you write and paint!!! Beautiful!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful piece!

Popular Posts